“Won’t you be… my neighbor.” (I’m sure he’s never heard that) Mike Neighbors finds a home at Washington
The doors swing open and Mike Neighbors is standing at the entrance.
“Welcome,” he said in that unmistakable southern drawl. “Y’all come on in.”
It’s a bright, clear and cool afternoon – the last day of autumn – and the Washington women’s basketball coach guides a tour through his newly purchased Mercer Island house and explains why he finally feels at home in Seattle.
Since taking the job as a Huskies assistant in 2011, Neighbors rented a one-bedroom, one-bath 860-square feet condo in Bitterlake, Wash. that he cherished.
From Mark Wiedmer at the Times Free Press: Muffet McGraw is another Jim Foster success story
Back in 1980, when Muffet McGraw was an assistant women’s basketball coach to Jim Foster at St. Joseph’s University, they used to run a play called “high play.”
With a certain degree of pride, Foster noticed McGraw’s second-ranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish still running that play during their 79-58 win over Foster’s University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Mocs on Tuesday night.
What may have made him happiest — and it was perhaps the only time he was happy all night — was the result of that play.
Asked if the Irish scored on it, Foster softly replied, “No.”
Austin Statesman: Texas women counting on freshmen to grow up quickly in Big 12 play
“In the Big 12, we’ll have opponents that really value rebounding, and it’s tough,” [Aston] said. “It gets physical and it’s hard to get a rebound. Hopefully some of this mindset will carry over but we need to get more involved. Our guards have not been as involved in rebounding as they need to be.”
The University of Memphis women’s basketball team got 26 points and 13 rebounds from Cheyenne Creighton – both career-high totals – to power a 75-59 upset of Vanderbilt Wednesday at the Elma Roane Fieldhouse.
Told ya to pay attention to William & Mary: Junior Abby Rendle got the second triple-double in school history (also got the first), as the Tribe topped East Carolina, 82-72. I his fourth season, coach Ed Swanson has got it goin’ on, opening with the season with the best non-conference slate in school history.
“I am really happy for our team,” head coach Matt Bollant said. “It is the first time since 2010 that we started with a win in the Big Ten, and to get it against an Iowa team that we have a lot of respect for is a great way to start.
A decorated locker.
Gas money from a friend.
Her parents in town to celebrate.
A career-high 15 points.
All of these are things that Jessica Jones got for her 21st birthday on Wednesday.
Ton of interesting games today:
#4 Turtles v. #1 Huskies, 6pm
- UConn women’s basketball team looking to complete perfection in 2016
- From Mechelle: Terps are last big test as Huskies’ win streak nears record
Generally, there’s nothing people dislike much more than being taken for granted. Yet we’re about to do just that with the UConn women’s basketball team. Sorry, but …
The Huskies are 11-0, the winning streak they don’t want to think about is at 86 in a row, and they’re soon to face their last likely obstacle before a new benchmark is set.
- Jones sisters, who will lead Maryland in “Big Game” vs. UConn
- UConn Women Face Challenge In Maryland; Brionna Jones Big Reason Why.
- (That’s two from Harvey) A Terrapin From Connecticut Gets Her Shot at UConn
But here they are, 11-0 through a formidable schedule that included powerful programs like Baylor and Notre Dame, while Maryland, which is at 12-0 under Coach Brenda Frese, has routed most opponents and won its most challenging nonconference game at Louisville.
Even that has not brought college stardom to Gillespie, which makes this meeting less about settling an old score with Auriemma that she says does not exist and more of an opportunity to remind the many people watching back home that she did not have to settle for the Little Sisters of the Poor.
#17 Wildcats v. #15 Blue Devils, 7pm
- Duke women’s basketball eyes second ranked non-conference win
- No. 17 Kentucky Ends Non-Conference Play At No. 15 Duke
- Wildcats face ‘big-time game’ against Duke, Kentucky native Greenwell
#8 Cardinal v. #25 Orange, 7pm
- Louisville rematch sparks big-play memory for Syracuse women’s basketball reserve
- No. 8 Women’s Basketball Begins ACC Play with No. 25 Syracuse
#7 Seminoles v. #11 Hurricanes, 7pm
- Red-hot rivals ready to collide in Coral Gables
- Things Coming Together Nicely For No. 11 Hurricanes Women
- Noles and Canes Renew Hardwood Rivalry
# Irish v. Wolfpack (10-3), 7pm
- WOLFPACK HOSTS NO. 2 NOTRE DAME THURSDAY TO OPEN ACC SLATE
- #2 Irish Start ACC Action Thursday in Raleigh
- Linsday Allen, Brianna Turner on roll for Notre Dame women’s basketball
#12 Mountaineers v Horned Frogs, 7:30pm
- TCU women’s Big 12 opener is stern test against unbeaten West Virginia
- Mitch Vingle: WVU women’s basketball mirroring men — with one exception
#16 Longhorns (6-4) v. Raiders (8-3), 8pm
#3 Bears v. Wildcats (10-2), 8pm
- Baylor women get big test as Kansas State visits to open Big 12 play
- Daily Bears Report 12/29
- Lady Bears Tip Off Big 12 Slate Thursday
- Lady Bears, Big 12 about to kick into full gear
#21 Golden Bears v. Wildcats, 9pm
- Cal’s Asha Thomas looks forward to Pac-12 play
- Arizona Wildcats coach Adia Barnes: ‘What we are capable of doing … it’s exciting’